The Modal auxiliary verb dan kata kerja yang mengikutinya tidak mengalami perubahan untuk orang dan jumlah
The modal auxiliary verb ditempatkan segera sesudah subyek kalimat.
FORM: SUBJECT + THE MODAL AUXILIARY + INFINITIVE
(Positive) They can do it
(Negative) They can not do it
(Questions) Can they do it:
Short Answer Yes, they can/not, they can’t
Bentuk dan arti dari the modal auxiliary verbs:
1. Will (Future)
• They will come here on time
2. Could (ability in the past, possibility)
• She could climb when she wa still young. (ability in the past)
• She could come in a minute. (possibility)
3. Can (ability, permission)
• He can play the pino. (ability)
• They can play football here. (Permission)
4. May (Pemission, possibility)
• The children may play here. (permission)
• He may get a raise. (possibility)
5. Might (Possibility)
• He might get a rise in his salary. (possibility)
6. Should/ought to (obligation, desirability)
• Students ought to/should study regularly. (obligation)
• You ought not to/shouldn’t drink and drive. (desirability)
7. Must (conclusion, probability, necessity)
• He must be twenty years old. (conclusion, probability)
• You must be hungry. (conclusion, probability)
• You must study tonight.
• Tambahlan to dimana perlu, Jika to tidak diperlukan, tulislah dibagian yang kosong.
1. I have … go down tomorrow.
2. Tom can … play soccer.
3. Could you please … open the window?
4. The students must … learn all of the irregular verbs.
5. Sally has … do her history.
6. I think you should … take better care of yourself.
7. I ought … go to the office this afternoon.
8. Would you … speak more slowly, please?
9. We may … go to Argentina for our vacation.
10. Will you please … mail this letter for me?
• Lengkapi kalimat dengan can dan can’t
1. A cat … climb trees, but it … fly
2. A fish … walk, but it … swim
3. A dog … bark, but it … sing
4. You … buy stamps at the post office, but you … buy shoes there.
5. A tiny baby … cry, but it … talk
6. I … write with a pen, but I … write with a paper clip
7. I … read book by noonlight, but I … read in sunlight.
8. Trees … produce oxygen, but rocks … .
9. Fish … live in air, but they … live in water.
10. You … store water in a glass jar, but you … store it in a paper bag.